Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Didn't Even Think to Ask!

Ephesians 3:20 NIV Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.

Do you think God cares about the things that concern you? Do youreally and deeply believe He does? I definitely do and I want to share a story to illustrate why. Maybe it will encourage you.

I try to lift any and all needs in prayer. I’m great at praying for someone when they ask specifically or even if they just mention a problem or need – I’m on it! However, sometimes I don’t even think to bring an issue to God. Yes, I know we are to bring every need and concern to Him – large and small. Maybe you do what I sometimes do and did this past week. Let me share:

My brother got tickets to a Mets game for my children and me this Saturday. It is a night game. Not a problem, except I am a really early riser and my body is so used to being up very early, that by 8:30 or 9:00 pm my eyes are at half-mast most times. I mentioned to my husband and kids – half jokingly, but truly, only half - that I hoped I could stay awake. You see we will take a train from upstate NY into the city to meet my oldest son and go to Queens from there. If the game is over at 7 or 8 o’clock we most likely will not get back to the train station until at least 11 pm. Waaaay past my usual bedtime!

Anyway – I mentioned my concern several times and they all thought it was hilarious that mom would probably be the one struggling to keep her eyes open on the train (a slightly scary thought for me, actually).

We were watching another game on TV this past Saturday and at the very end they mentioned the “games of the week” to be televised next Saturday – the day we are going to Citi Field. They showed the Mets logo and my son saw they listed it as being televised at 4:00 pm. Really? He went on line and found that because they are televising it on that channel, the time was moved up to 4:00 pm instead of 7:00 as originally scheduled.

I don’t know about you – but I take things like this VERY personally! I was thrilled that the Lord would take into consideration my concern over such a minor and unimportant detail. And even though I didn't think to ask Him to rearrange the time, He still arranged for the game to take place earlier! You see, I have a very personal relationship with my Lord and I believe He pays attention to everything (and I do mean everything!) that concerns me! I couldn’t stop thanking Him for making this change for me. And I truly believe that is the case.

But it also brought the wonderful scripture in Ephesians 3:20 to mind. I especially love the Amplified version: "Now to Him Who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and} do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams}. Every version I looked at used words like “infinitely, immeasurably more than we can ask or request” and the Message Translation adds “in your wildest dreams.”

I know the Bible tells us we have not because we ask not and most times I do make it a point to ask. But how wonderful that even when I forget or just don’t even think to do it – He still knows and responds.

Father not only always knows best - He is the best!

No comments: